Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of contents
Portable external hard drives have changed and adapted to the latest technological trends. If you are looking for the best external hard drive, you’re in for a treat. We’ve compiled a list so you will have to search no more.
What Are the Best Portable External Hard Drives for Your Laptop and PC Units?
1. G-Technology ArmorATD
The G-Technology ArmorATD Series is a hardcore portable storage device that can store your data even in extreme outdoor activities.
- Choose from storage from 1 to 5 terabytes.
- Shockproof triple-layered up to 1-meter drop for 4 – 5 terabytes and 1.2 meters for 1 – 2 meters on a carpeted floor.
- Crush rating of up to 1000 lbs
- IP54 rating Dust and rain resistant
- Compatble with Thunberbolt 3, USB-3.0 & USB-C
2. Western Digital My Passport Series
A small and slim external hard drive with a dimension of 4.22 x 2.95 x 0.75 inches and weighing just 7.40 ounces, the WD My Passport Series fits in the palm of your hand. Portability at its finest.
- Includes backup software so you can manage this device
- Five terabyte storage
- 256-bit AES hardware encryption for password protection
- SuperSpeed USB port (5Gbps); USB 2.0 compatible
- For peace of mind, the company gives a 3-year limited warranty
3. SanDisk 1TB Extreme
The SanDisk Extreme fits your active lifestyle. With the carabiner loop made available, you can hang it anywhere. And since it’s rated IP155, it’s water (water flow 30 kPa at 3 min) and dust-resistant—a good and safe way to store your data even in extreme conditions.
- A write Speed of 1000MB/s combined with a Read SPeed of 1050MB/s
- Drop protection of up to 2 meters
- Password protection – 256-bit AES encryption
- Supports Windows 8, 10, and macOS v10.9+
- 5-year limited warranty
- Recovery Software Subscription of up to 2 years
4. Samsung T7 Series
If you need to transfer large files in a reliable, fast, and easy way, the Samsung T7 Series might be what you need. It has a Write Speed of 1000 MB/s and a Read Speed of 1050 Megabytes Per Second, thanks to this unit’s USB 3.2 Gen 2. With a thickness of only 8mm weight of just 58 grams. With a width of 57mm and a length of 85mm. This external hard drive can slip right into your pocket.
- Supports Android Lollipop, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.10, or higher
- It has 500GB, 1 & 2 Terabyte options
- Equipped with Embedded PCIe NVMe technology for faster read and write speeds
- Shock-resistant up to 6 feet
- Aluminum casing
- The ePCM technology and Dynamic Thermal Guard keep it from overheating
5. LaCie Rugged SSD
Videographers and influencers will find the LaCie Rugged performance very satisfying. This is because it’s boosted with Seagate FireCuda NVMe read/write throughput up to 950 megabytes per second.
- 2 Terabyte storage
- Rated IP67 for shock resits up to 3 meters, dust, and water-resistant
- Transfer up to 60 Gigabytes of video in under 60 seconds
- Edit straight from the drive even up to $k RAW uncompressed videos
- Lightweight and small
- Can store 200K RAW images or 4K videos for up to 65 hours
- 5-Year coverage of Data Rescue
- One month of free Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps plan
6. WD_BLACK D30
Who says portable external hard drives aren’t for gamers? The WD_Black D30 Series was explicitly made for gamers on the go. Gamers can store games from PlayStation 4 (system software version 4.50 or higher only), PS5 consoles, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox Series X|S (Play and store Xbox One games; archive Xbox Series X|S games) with certain specifications.
- Compatible with PCs
- USB Type C cable
- A decent read/write speed of 900 megabytes per second
- Up to 2 Terabytes of storage space or up to 50 games
- Performance speed of 900 megabytes per second
7. Seagate Expansion Series
The Seagate portable external hard drive has storage options of 1 terabyte to 5 terabytes. In addition, it is pre-formatted for windows, so you can connect it using the 18-inch USB 3.0 cable.
- Compatible with PC, PS4, Mac, and gaming consoles
- Just drag and drop, and you’re good to go
- No software is needed. It connects automatically to your computer
- One year rescue data
- OS is Windows®8, 9 and 10
8. ADATA SE800
Yet another super-fast read/write speed of up to 1000 megabytes per second because of the USB 3.2 Gen 2, the ADATA SE800 is reliable and compact.
- Works with Android phones
- Military-grade toughness with the IP68 rating. Waterproof, Drop Proof, Dust Proof, and Shock resistant
- Compatible with game consoles
- Dimension of 2.8 x 1.7 x 0.4 inches
- It weighs only 1.4 ounces
9. Crucial X8
The Crucial X8 Series is compatible with Windows, Mac, PC, gaming consoles, tablets, iPad Pro, and even your smartphone. And it is equipped with USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C for a read speed of up to 1050 Megabytes Per Second.
- Up to 2 meters drop proof on carpeted floors
- Up to 2 Terabytes of storage
- Anodized aluminum for a durable and beautiful design
- Backed up by Micron
- Can withstand extreme temperatures
- Can withstand vibrations
There are a ton of other portable external hard drives out there. But for the most part, this list can help you in any area of storage lifestyle you need. So take your pick and free yourself from worrying about running out of storage space.