Picture this. A group of people sitting on a train in the London Underground without a single person engaging in any conversation. Rather, each individual focuses directly on the object in their hands, paying no attention to the people around them. Even on the escalator, a man is fixated with the newest form of media in his hands without a care in the world of what is going on around him.
I bet the video below is nothing like you pictured in your mind. That’s because the video is actual footage from the London Underground from back in the 1960s and 1970s. And the device in their hands isn’t a smartphone. It’s a newspaper or, in some cases, a book.
Perhaps the notion of consuming information while ignoring the people around you isn’t that new after all?
Want more information on the London Underground? Check out the resources below:
- London’s Underground: The Story of the Tube by Oliver Green and Benjami Graham
- London Under: The Secret History Beneath the Streets by Peter Ackroyd
Or, check out these London Underground goodies:
- London Underground The Tube Metro Train UK T-Shirt
- Signs-Unique London Underground Map Tea Towel
- London Underground Sticker Travel Stickers – Laptop Stickers