Curious about getting an iPhone XR, XS, or XS Max? Check out our breakdown and comparison of the different iPhone models in this post.
iPhone Review | iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max Comparison
Benefits of Each iPhone Model
- All three models are equipped with A12 Bionic processor — Apple has claimed that it will launch apps 30% faster than last year’s iPhones.
- Features the same single lightning connector without a headphone jack — This makes you unable to listen to music and plug in to charge at the same time, but just like last year’s models, all three iPhone models come equipped with wireless charging.
- Apple offers its largest storage to date with the iPhone XS and XS Max — Both models are now offered in the 512GB variant but strangely decided to skip the 128GB version, only offering the 64GB, 256GB and 512GB versions.
Entry Level Phone With an iPhone X Skin: iPhone XR
- Uses the same processor as the iPhone XS and XS Max — Even though it is the cheapest iPhone model this year, it’s nowhere near a pushover compared to its more expensive siblings. Compared to last years iPhone X, the iPhone XR has a lower resolution LCD screen but has the same upgraded processor as the iPhone XS and XS Max.
- Has the best battery life among the three models — It comes in an aluminum chassis and has a larger battery than the iPhone XS, giving it the best battery life of the 3 models.
- Has a large screen — Features a large 6.1-inch LCD Retina screen compared to the iPhone XS has a 5.8-inch OLED Super Retina screen
- Comes with a great quality camera — Features a 7-megapixel camera with FaceID
- Comes in different colors — iPhone XR colors include black, white, blue, yellow, coral or Product Red
- Con — Besides all the improvements, the one thing missing from the iPhone XR from previous models is 3D touch.
Upgraded iPhone X: iPhone XS
- Same specs as iPhone XS Max, but in a smaller package — The iPhone XS specs are essentially the same as the iPhone XS Max but in different sizes.
- Higher quality screen compared to the iPhone XR — Although it comes with a smaller screen than the iPhone XR, 5.8 inches compared to 6.1 inches, the iPhone XS comes with the same higher quality OLED Super Retina screen as the iPhone XS Max.
- Comes with a 12-megapixel camera on the back and a larger camera sensor — This gives you great depth of field on your photos.
- Faster processor and modem compared to the iPhone X
- Con — It looks similar to the iPhone X as most of the improvements have been done internally
iPhone XS Plus More: iPhone XS Max
- Largest screen — Features a 6.5 inch OLED Super Retina screen, making it perfect for entertainment on-the-go
- Best battery life — While it has nearly the same internals as the iPhone XS, its larger battery life is advertised as having 1.5 hours longer than the previous iPhone X generations.
- Dual Sim Capability — One main selling point of the XS Max, and XS, is the ability to have a second eSIM with a different plan and carrier.
- Con — The most expensive among the bunch with its 512GB version coming in at a whopping $1,449
When it comes to purchasing a phone (or anything for that matter), the budget is always a consideration. Here’s a handy guide to help you compare the prices between these three iPhone models.
|iPhone XS Max||$1,099||–||$1,249||$1,449|
Tech Specs of the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max
iPhone XR Specs
- Screen Size: 6.1 inches LCD Retina
- Resolution: 1792×828 (326 ppi)
- Back Camera: Single lens 12-megapixel
- Front Camera: 7-megapixel
- Processor: Apple A12 Bionic
- Battery: 2942mAh
- Dimensions: 5.9×3.0x0.33 in
iPhone XS and XS Plus Specs
|iPhone XS||iPhone XS Max|
|Screen Size||5.8 inches OLED Super Retina||6.5 inches OLED Super Retina|
|Resolution||2436×1125 (458 ppi)||2688×1242 (458 ppi)|
|Back Camera||Dual lens 12-megapixel||Dual lens 12-megapixel|
|Processor||Apple A12 Bionic||Apple A12 Bionic|
|Battery||2659 mAh||3179 mAh|
|Dimensions||5.7×2.8×0.3 in||6.2×3.0x.3 in|
Reviews for the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max
Learn more about iPhone XS and iPhone XR in this video from Apple:
The iPhone XR makes a strong case for itself with its lower price tag and excellent battery life, a great choice for old iPhone users looking for an upgrade. Those wanting a more premium iPhone with a better screen and camera still have the option of either the iPhone XS or the iPhone XS Max. But regardless of which one you choose, all three are an improvement from last year’s models.
Which new iPhone feature do you like best? Discuss it in the comments!