Here, we’ve curated nine of the best video chatting tools at your disposal so you’d know how to video chat with friends and family with ease. Read on to find out more.
9 Must-Have Video Chat Tools
How to Video Chat
Video chatting may be done using either a desktop or a smartphone. The steps you need to follow are pretty much the same for each, with minor differences.
- Choose the app that fits you best.
- Download the app from either Google Play or the App Store. You may also opt to use the Web version of some platforms, which can be accessed from their official website if you don’t want to download additional software/apps to your device.
- Open the app.
- Find or grow your contacts from your phone/email’s contact list.
- Start chatting.
- If your computer or laptop doesn’t come with a built-in camera, or if you’re not satisfied with it, you can get an external webcam instead.
- Using a tablet or mobile device and having difficulty holding it up throughout the call? Consider getting a tablet stand.
Portal is a dedicated video chat device. Its tagline goes like this: “if you can’t be there, feel there.”
Portal delivers its tagline’s promise via the introduction of cutting-edge video chat technology. This product is the brainchild of the multibillion-dollar company, Facebook.
Get Portal by clicking here.
- smart camera
- smart sound
- content sharing (via Story Time and Spotify)
- built-in Alexa
- keeps everyone in the frame via the Smart Camera.
- enhanced audio
- designed with privacy and security in mind (No Facebook interference).
- voice-command ready
- compatible with Facebook Messenger
- tell interactive stories for kids with “Story Time on Portal” and listen to your favorite music alongside your loved ones, feeling as if you’re in the same room
- featuring an expansive list of partners, including Spotify, CNN, Fox News, ABC News, iHeart Radio, Food Network, and Words with Friends, among others
- 10.1″ Display: $199
- 15.6″ Display: $349
Chinese giant WeChat is a social networking platform, business hub, and a payment system all rolled into one neat application. And that’s barely scratching the surface of what this tool is about.
Yes, WeChat also allows users to video chat for free.
- high-quality video and voice calls
- offers “Moments,” which is the user’s personal photo and video stream they can share with their contacts
- real-time location
- Time Capsule (short vids/highlights that disappear after 24 hours)
- WeChat Pay (consumer feature)
- WeRun (health feature)
- TRUSTe certified (topnotch privacy)
- all-in-one app
- localized language (up to 20 recognized languages)
Skype is one of the pioneers in video chat apps. Its reliability has allowed it to endure despite stiff competition.
Skype doesn’t discriminate when it comes to devices, and it continuously updates its list of features.
Click here to get Skype.
- voice and HD video calling
- photo sharing
- smart messaging
- call recording/live subtitles
- screen sharing
- low call rates to cell phones and landlines across the globe
- private conversations (reliable end to end encryption)
- versatility across several platforms (compatible with smartphone, desktop, web, tablet, Xbox, Alexa)
4. Google Hangouts
Hangouts is powered by tech giant Google. It offers various communication channels to its users, including HD video calling between multiple contacts.
- HD video calls
- HD group conferencing
- Instant messaging
- Voice calls
- Intelligent muting
- Auto screen focus
- Screen sharing
- Compatible with a wide array of devices
- Conference-call with up to nine people
- Auto-integration with other Google apps, such as Gmail
- Admin functions for official organizations/businesses
RELATED: Texting Apps To Keep You Connected
Viber has amassed some 11 million downloads since its introduction in 2013. It’s compatible with various devices, including smartphones and desktops, and is considered one of the most functional messaging apps out there.
- HD video calls
- instant messaging
- group chat
- international calls
- public chat
- free international voice/video calling
- wide catalog of stickers and emojis
- allows hidden messages for later/discreet access
- secured data via automatic encryption
6. Google Duo
Google Duo was a staple in various “best video chat apps” lists back in 2018. This is understandable given the app’s commendable functionality.
Duo prioritizes intimate two-way video calls instead of conference calls, hence the name. This app is easy to set up — just register with your mobile number, verify your registration, and start placing video calls.
- person-to-person HD video calling (720p)
- Knock Knock (caller’s quick video stream)
- end-to-end encryption
- has a web and mobile version
- ease of registration/use
- data security/privacy
7. Facebook Messenger
Facebook Messenger has the most number of users among video chat apps and tools. It automatically connects to an existing Facebook account.
- HD video calling
- photo sharing
- voice calling/Instant messaging
- voice messaging
- group chat
- location sharing
- money transfer
- easy connection with friends and contacts
- easy connection with favorite businesses
- expansive stickers, gifs, and emojis
Facetime is strictly for iOS devices. This is one of Apple’s main treats for its loyal users.
With Facetime, you can reach out to friends and family from anywhere in the world at any time. Facetime works with iPhones, iPads, and Mac computers.
- high-def video calling (720p)
- audio calling
- group Facetime
- liven up conversations with a variety of effects, from filters to animojis
- group call with up to 32 people
Aside from its clever name, WhatsApp has a lot going for it as a premier messaging app. For one thing, it’s versatile enough to cater to Windows, iOS, and Android devices.
WhatsApp has grown to become one of the world’s most widely used messaging platforms. In terms of popularity, it rivals the likes of WeChat and Messenger.
- video calling
- voice calling
- text messaging
- group chat
- photo/video sharing
- document sharing
- secure by default (thanks to end-to-end encryption)
- quick communication even on a slow connection
- customizable wallpapers, notifications, etc.
Learn these free messaging apps for Android in this video from Android Police:
Video chatting is one of the best ways to stay connected with friends and family. To keep the experience as fun and glitch-free as possible, which video chatting tool you choose and use matters.
Thankfully, there are options abound for video chat enthusiasts. With this list, we’re hoping we’ve thoroughly narrowed down those options so you would have an easier time on which to choose.
What’s your favorite video chat app and why? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
- How Do You Delete A Snapchat Account Fast And Easy
- 9 Free Word Processing Programs You Should Definitely Try
- The Best Chromebook Games You Need To Play Today