Are you an Android user who has lost data on your device? No fear, we are here to show you how to recover deleted text messages. Android SMS recovery isn’t always the easiest process, so we’ve compiled the 3 different ways to recover deleted text messages on android OS.
3 Ways To Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android
SMS Recovery On Android: When Is It Necessary?
Before you start learning how to recover deleted text messages on your phone using the different tools, it’s best to keep your expectations realistic. When does it become handy?
You can lose your text messages in many ways. One is when you accidentally delete them. Perhaps the message contains important information, and you don’t have the time to ask the sender for the same data.
But you may also lose them when:
- A malware or a virus wipes out your phone’s content. (Protect yourself with these tips.)
- You accidentally used the phone’s factory settings.
- Someone gains access to your phone and deletes certain messages.
- An upgrade causes the content to disappear.
The question is, “How can I retrieve the deleted messages?” These messages do not disappear from your phone, but they are invisible since you tagged them for deletion. Thus, you can still recover them. However, if new data overwrote them, consider them as forever lost.
SMS Recovery Tools For Android Devices
Either way, losing certain messages you want to keep in the first place isn’t the most pleasant situation. Moreover, if you’re an Android user, there’s no quick version to solve it. You have to rely on certain tools to get your messages back on your phone.
Here are some of the most recommended apps to help you retrieve deleted text messages:
FonePaw is mainly an SMS recovery tool. It doesn’t restore deleted text messages into your phone. It rather presents the missing messages in a text, HTML, or CSV format. You can open CSV in Excel and the text in your Notepad.
Here are the steps to use this app:
- Download the app. If you’re using Windows, get it here. If you’re into Mac, it’s here.
- Connect your device to the data recovery tool using a USB cable. Make sure you have activated your phone before you do this.
- Turn on the phone and get into the USB debugging mode. Press “OK.”
- Go to Settings.
- Click “About Phone.”
- Choose Build Number, pressing it 7 times. Wait until you receive a dialogue box that says, “You are under developer mode.”
- Return to Settings.
- Choose “Developer Options.”
- Click “USB Debugging.”
- Choose the file type you wish to recover. While it’s a great app to learn how to recover deleted text messages, you can also use it to get images, audio, documents, and even messages from WhatsApp.
- Click “Allow/Grant/Authorize” to let the app scan, search, and retrieve the missing messages.
- View the recovered messages.
2. MobiKin Doctor
Would you like to know how to retrieve deleted text messages on Samsung? MobiKin Doctor is one of the best apps for it. It supports over 1,500 Android devices, so there’s a great chance it is compatible with yours. Although it works similar to FonePaw, this one is simpler. You can also use this to get deleted messages on an Android SD card.
- Download the app. Here’s the link for Windows and here’s the one for Mac. Take note that you are downloading Doctor, not the Assistant. Note: The app doesn’t come for free. It’s available at less than $50 with a 90-day money-back guarantee. But if you’re planning to use it only once, you can get the free trial version.
- Run the program and connect your device to the PC using a USB cable. The app should be able to recognize your device.
- Check the types of files you want to retrieve. It can recover texts, messages with attachments, documents, audio, photos, and contacts. Keep in mind some may require Android rooting, which is more technical. If you’re just trying to learn how to recover deleted text messages, you don’t need to root your device.
- Wait for the program to end its scan. Then check the list under Messages.
Choose the messages you would like to recover. You can check them individually or select all by clicking the topmost tick box.
- Click “Recover” under the screen to start saving the messages on your computer.
Back Up Your Text Messages
To make sure you don’t lose your text messages ever again, consider backing up the files. There are two options for this. One is to use the cloud on your phone. The other is to download available apps such as SMS Backup and Restore. Download it here.
Follow these steps to recover deleted text messages and create a backup using the app:
- Install the app on your phone and open it.
- Press Backup.
- Select what folder you would like to save the files in.
- Choose the files you wish to back up. Under the text messages option, you can also save special characters and MMS.
- Choose whether to back up locally or to a cloud. If you select the latter, the app will give you different options for cloud storage. These include Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Press “OK.”
To restore, follow these instructions:
- Open the app.
- Press “Restore.”
- Choose the messages you want to restore.
- Press “Restore” and then “Yes.”
- Wait for the app to download the messages again.
Are you a Samsung fan? Here’s how to use the proprietary cloud to back up and restore your files. Watch this video from GregglesTV:
Were you able to recover deleted text messages on your Android device? The process may be a bit tedious since you still have to download certain tools, but they’re easy to use, and they’re free (or available as a free trial for a few days). Don’t forget that you can always back up your text messages and other files, so you don’t have to worry about losing them anymore.