Do you ever ask yourself “how does Dropbox work?” You’re not alone. It may be a bit confusing especially for those who are new to cloud-based applications. This post will teach you how to upload files to and do other basic tasks with Dropbox. You will also know why it’s the best way to share pictures. By the time you’re done reading this, you’ll find a newfound appreciation for this amazing cloud storage platform.
How Does Dropbox Work on PC?
What Is Dropbox?
Dropbox is available both in desktop and mobile versions. If you have scant knowledge about it, it’s always best to begin with the basics. Hence, you will focus on how to use it on your PC (or Mac). Before we get into the details, let’s answer this question: What is Dropbox?
Well, here’s an overview. Dropbox is a cloud storage platform, which means you can upload, download, and modify various types of files anytime and anywhere. You will be able to maximize all its features when you have an Internet connection, although you can tag some files for offline reading or use the desktop version for offline work (we’ll get to this later). It is also a handy collaboration tool, where you can share and work together on a file or other types of content with a team.
To begin using Dropbox, you need to create an account. Don’t worry, you can use your Google account to sign up. You can also download the app straight to your desktop.
How To Upload Files To Dropbox On The Web
How does Dropbox work with files? It’s so easy!
1. Open your Dropbox account.
2. On the upper left-hand side of the screen, you will see Upload Files. Click it.
3. Locate your files. You can upload as many files as you like. Click Choose files.
4. Press Done.
How about uploading photos? Dropbox has a default folder for that. Uploading your photos isn’t different from that of files.
1. Under Files or My Files, search for Photos folder. Click it.
2. Press Upload Files.
3. Search for the location the photos.
4. Click Done.
How To Organize Files On Dropbox On The Web
— Vladimir Mirolubow (@mirvla) July 26, 2015
Organizing Dropbox is optional. Besides, it has a search function if you want to find files. But, you will be more efficient, especially during collaboration, when you sort them.
1. On the left-hand side of the dashboard, look for files.
2. Go to the right side and press New Folder.
3. Rename the folder.
4. Click on the file you wish to move.
5. On the right side, you should see choices such as Move, Copy, or Delete. Click Move or Copy.
6. Choose the new folder you made from the drop-down menu.
7. Press Copy or Move.
Note: You can move or copy many items simultaneously.
How To Share Files On Dropbox On The Web
7 ways to make music collaboration easier with Dropbox https://t.co/Z98prxmVOj
— Dropbox (@Dropbox) May 25, 2017
How does Dropbox work to share files? There are different variations. To begin, the steps to share a file or folder is slightly different. When you share a file, you:
1. Go to Files or My Files (or the folder where the file is).
2. Select the file you wish to share.
3. Press the Share button that corresponds to the file.
4. A pop-up window will appear. You can then choose to email the file by adding the email addresses of the recipients or generate a link, which you can copy to your email and send to your contacts.
5. Change the Folder or Permission settings according to your preference.
Under the Permission settings, you can indicate the kind of activity the recipients can do on the folder. For example, they may only view and not edit the folder. With Folder settings, you can determine who has access to the folder. These options are not found when you share files only.
Note: You can also edit the link settings, but you need to upgrade your account to Dropbox Plus before you can do so.
How Does Dropbox Work on Desktop
If you don’t have constant access to the Internet or want to be more efficient when dealing with multiple tasks on Dropbox, the best way is to download its desktop version. You can get it here. It takes less than three minutes (depending on your PC’s speed) to complete. The Dropbox logo should appear in your system tray once everything is set up.
Whenever you wish to upload files or folders, click the Dropbox icon. It will lead you to the Dropbox folder. Drag and drop files and folders seamlessly. You can also move the files or folders up or down according to your preferred organization.
The desktop version of Dropbox also makes uploading and sharing photos and videos easily. How does Dropbox work for photos? For one, you can enable Autoplay. This means every time you connect your PC to devices with photos and videos, you can store or back up these files automatically to Dropbox. Here’s how to do it:
1. Click the Dropbox icon on the system tray.
2. Look for the Gear icon, which is on the leftmost part of the menu tab.
3. Press Preferences.
4. Go to Import.
5. See to it Enable Camera Uploads For is set to Photos and Videos.
6. Press Change AutoPlay settings. Your Control Panel should open.
7. Tick Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
8. Go to Removable Drive. See to it it says Import Photos and Videos (Dropbox).
How does Dropbox work for teams? Here’s a short video on how to create team folders. If you want more tips and tricks, head to Dropbox YouTube channel:
Dropbox is easily the most reliable cloud-based file sharing platform available today. You won’t need a hard drive to store files as Dropbox servers are proven stable. You can rest assured your Dropbox files will be stored safely. Now go create your own Dropbox account, and while you’re at it, download the Dropbox app on your mobile devices as well.
What do you like best about Dropbox? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2017 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.