The different hidden Skype emoticons are some of the best ways to make online conversations alive. Let’s face it, this voice, video, text messaging, and instant messaging service is one of the most popular out there. However, it can also be tad boring and formal in comparison to other social media platforms, if you don’t know how to use it. Using emoji characters may help you become more expressive to friends and family who are a chat window away!
Hidden Skype Emoticons Make Chatting Fun and Alive
In This Article:
- The Difference between Emojis and Chat Emoticons
- Why Should You Use Emoticons?
- The List of Hidden Skype Emoticons
The Difference between Emojis and Chat Emoticons
Before you learn the various hidden Skype emoticons, let’s define two of the most commonly used terms: emoticon and emoji. Is there a difference between them?
Emoticons came first. A computer scientist named Scott Fahlman posted on the Carnegie Mellon University message boards in September 1982. He pointed out how difficult it was to convey the real meaning of messages sent by community members.
He suggested using the keyboard to create the standard happy or frowning face. These, he said, could help people add more emotion to their writing. “Emoticon,” therefore, is a mashup of the words “emotion” and “icon.”
Nearly a decade later, the Japanese communications company NTT NoCoMo created the emoji. It is a combination of the letter e, which is often associated with “electronic,” and “moji,” which roughly translates to pictograph.
Sometimes called an animated emoticon, emojis are the more fully formed actual pictures of anything from flags to trees or ghosts. While emoticons inject emotion into the text, the emojis are part of a unicode used by most operating systems today.
To make things even more confusing, some emojis are also emoticons. The emoji characters with facial expressions can also be called emoticons.
Why Should You Use Emoticons?
The hidden Skype emoticons can help convey your mood and add more meaning to your writing. For instance, smileys for Skype can make a request seem less harsh. They can also replace words altogether.
Emoticons can also increase your popularity on social media. An analysis of over 31 million social media posts and tweets by the University of Cambridge Computer Lab concluded the posters’ Klout score was strongly influenced by the use of positive emoticons.
Scientists have also discovered something else rather interesting. The part of the brain that works when you look at a smiling human face also becomes active when you see a smiley emoticon.
The List of Hidden Skype Emoticons
If it’s your first time using Skype, bring up the list of emoticons by clicking the smiley face at the bottom of the text box. It will then reveal the emoji keyboard.
However, there are hidden Skype emoticons that appear only when you are typing the words in parentheses:
- Man (man) – This animated dark-haired man is wearing a light-blue shirt with a tie and dark blue pants. He is waving in a friendly manner.
- Woman (woman) – This animated dark-haired woman is wearing a red dress and waving.
- Drunk (drunk) – This animated yellow-face emoticon has uneven eyes, one of which is googly in an amusing manner. Its mouth also quirks oddly.
- Smoking (smoking) (smoke) (ci) – This yellow animated emoticon is smoking a cigarette and occasionally puffs out some smoke.
- LFC Laugh (LFClaugh) – This animated happy face emoticon laughs.
- Toivo (toivo) – It is an animated emoji of a man wearing a white T-shirt and red shirt. He is bending down to pet a dachshund.
- Malthe (malthe) – This is an animated emoticon of a woman with blue-black hair and glasses. She lowers the glasses and then pushes them up again.
- Tauri (tauri) – This is an animated man emoticon with glasses, a mustache, and a goatee. He moves his mouth.
- Priidu (zilmer) – This is an animated hipster male emoji. Wearing blue, he raises a camera to his face, snaps a picture, and then lowers it.
- LFC Worried (LFCworried) – This animated face emoticon bites his lip and looks around fearfully.
- Oliver (oliver) – This animated man emoticon is wearing a black hat and glasses and is moving his mouth like he is speaking.
- LFC Party (LFCparty) – This animated happy face emoticon has confetti falling around him.
- Pool Party (poolparty) – This funny animated emoticon is a naked man dancing with a small kiddie pool around his waist like a hula-hoop. He drops it. Then he covers himself with his hands and reaches down to pick it back up.
- LFC Clap (LFCclap) – This animated happy face emoticon has arms and claps its white-gloved hands. It is wearing red and white pants.
- LFC Facepalm (LFCfacepalm) – This animated happy face emoticon facepalms into its white-gloved hand.
- Gotta Run (gottarun) – This is the man emoji in a profile view, running comically, with his tie blowing in the wind.
- Stop (stop) – This animated emoji is a police officer in uniform holding up a Stop sign. He lifts it up and there is a big X on it. Then he lowers it again.
- Good Luck (goodluck) – This animated emoji of a four-leaf clover disappears and then reappears one leaf at a time.
- Can You Talk? (canyoutalk) – This green animated phone emoji rotates between a question mark above it and wavy lines, indicating talk.
- Hold On (holdon) – This is an animated hourglass emoji which turns upside down and then upright again.
- Let’s Meet (letsmeet) – This is an animated white calendar emoji with a red border on the top that flips pages.
- Confidential (confidential) – This is an animated silver lock emoji that spins around. It’s one of the hidden Skype emoticons that denotes a secret.
- What’s Going On? (whatsgoingon) – This is a cool animated emoji that morphs from a question mark to an exclamation point.
3. Objects and Animals
- Skype Symbol (ss) – If you type in this command, you will get the blue Skype symbol, which looks like a blue paint splash with an S in the middle.
- Bug (bug) – It is an animated light-blue and dark-blue bug lying on its back with its legs flapping in the air.
- Snail (snail) – This animated green snail with a light-brown shell slowly turns to look at you and then away again. One of the hidden Skype emoticons, it’s what you need if you want to imply someone is slow.
- Island (island) – This animated tiny island has a palm tree growing on it, the sun shining down on it from above, and a dolphin repeatedly jumping in the background.
- Umbrella (umbrella) – This animated red umbrella emoji pops up and then closes.
- Rainbow (rainbow) – After the rain comes the rainbow. This animated red, yellow, and green rainbow loops in on itself repeatedly.
- Camera (camera) – This animated camera emoji repeatedly flashes. Another of the hidden Skype emoticons, it’s probably cute for Instagram-loving friends.
- Plane (plane) – This white animated plane slowly banks up and down.
- Car (car) – This is a blue sedan emoji.
- Computer (computer) – This is a laptop emoji, which flashes different scenes on the screen.
- Games (games) – This is a black PlayStation controller emoji.
- Santa (santa) (xmas) (christmas) – This cute animated Santa emoji with a red hat and beard smiles and blinks his eyes.
- Xmas Tree (xmastree) (christmastree) – This animated Christmas tree emoji dances and jumps around. It is decorated and has a yellow star on the top.
- Holiday Spirit (holidayspirit) (crazyxmas) – It’s one of the most popular hidden Skype emoticons for the holidays. This animated face emoji is wearing blinking lights on his head and has googly eyes. It is also throwing up.
- Festive Party (festiveparty) (partyxmas) – This animated face emoticon is wearing a Christmas hat and blowing a party horn.
- Hanukkah (hanukkah) – This is a menorah emoji.
- Dancing Thanksgiving Turkey (turkey) (turkeydancing) (thanksgiving) – This animated headless turkey dances and swings its hips.
Get more ideas on how to use these hidden Skype emoticons from Mindy Kingswood:
Hopefully, you’ll find some interesting hidden Skype emoticons from the list and help you express yourself better. Note, though, they may not be appropriate at all times, so use them with caution. Learn more about cool tech stuff by checking out Noobie.