Impress the hiring managers and score a job interview with a well-designed free Google Docs resume template.
In this article:
- Why Is Having a Resume Template Important for a Job Interview?
- Built-in Templates for Google Docs
- Simple and Structured Professional Resume Templates
- Colored and Polished Resume Templates
- Creative Google Docs Resume Templates
Getting a Job with a Free Google Docs Resume Template
Google Docs Resume Template Definition: A resume layout or format generated in Google Docs. The resume template comes in different themes, designs, and styles that fit each job seeker’s preference.
Why Is Having a Resume Template Important for a Job Interview?
Your resume is crucial for making the first impression on the hiring manager or the company as a whole. This is why you should put your best effort into making a comprehensive, creative, and compelling resume to properly convey the message of who you are and what you can offer to the company.
Creating your curriculum vitae (CV) from a free Google Docs resume template can be quite overwhelming at some point because you have to carefully think about the information you will put on paper. For this reason, having a resume template as your guide for creating personal information can make your life easier.
If you’re getting bored with the Microsoft Word resume templates, try a free Google Docs resume template. These templates provide many benefits you can take advantage of:
- It allows you to organize your personal information, which will look neat, professional, well-written, and well-organized. The template guides you on what information to include in your resume without having to add personal data your hiring manager will find irrelevant.
- You’ll have a functional resume online. You can create and work on it anytime and anywhere.
- It also makes writing a resume or CV easier. You can easily copy the format.
- Aside from the fact that a free Google Docs resume template is easy to fill out, it also lets you edit your information easily and quickly without any complications. After reviewing your resume, you can simply modify its contents to your preference.
- A resume template also helps create a good impression on the hiring manager based on how you present your CV. It allows the interviewer a peek at your personality just by looking at the template you are using.
- Having a resume template also saves time because you no longer need to think of the layout and just fill out the information directly. Aside from that, it also saves time when you are applying for more than one company.
- A resume template makes readability easy and can grab people’s attention quickly, especially if you are using a colorful and artistic layout. Google Docs resume templates give you a wide range of different styles and designs, so you can choose to become as simple or as creative as you can with your CV.
- Using a resume template also allows you to focus on the content rather than the layout. This provides an opportunity for you to organize your thoughts so you can come up with professional, well-organized, and smart information about who you are.
- Google resume templates offer both traditional and modern designs and styles, so you can select the right layout that suits the company you are applying to.
- If you’re ready to take your resume to a more professional level, you can easily take a peek at the Google resume examples.
I understand sometimes it’s hard to choose among the many options. That’s why I am making it quick and convenient for you.
Here, I divided them into four primary categories:
- Built-in Templates — These are the templates you can find straight in Google Drive, particularly the Google Docs section. This is the easiest to work on since there’s hardly any formatting you need to do.
- Simple and Structured Templates — Call these the traditional or conservative type of templates. They’re clean and sleek and are excellent for highly technical or academic jobs.
- Colored and Polished Templates — Templates these days are now available in a variety of designs. Some of them feature colored blocks to highlight specific sections in the resume or CV.
- Creative Templates — If the job you’re eyeing demands artistic or visual abilities, use any of these templates. You can also consider these if you want to make your resume stand out.
Built-in Templates for Google Docs
First things first — learn how to access a Google Docs resume.
First-time users can read this guide on how to use Google Drive. From there, click “Template Gallery.”
Select the template you prefer, remove the default text, and replace it with your own. The program saves all the changes you made on the document automatically.
There are a lot of Google resume templates. If you’re having a hard time choosing, start with these:
1. Swiss Google Docs Resume Template
The Swiss resume template is an excellent option if you want to make a one-page resume. It focuses on only the essential categories, including:
- Work experience
This free Google Docs resume template is also easy to read since thick black lines separate the elements.
2. Serif Google Docs Resume Template
In some cases, it can be really difficult to fit all your work information on a single page. If you still want to submit a one-page resume, use this template.
This resume template for Google Docs uses two columns with specific labels for easy reading. This can also be handy in teaching students how to maximize copy space.
3. Coral Google Docs Resume Template
This resume template contains titles in trendy coral. It allows your resume to stand out and is easy to skim through.
It also has basic formatting, which can appeal to corporate managers.
4. Spearmint Google Docs Resume Template
This Google resume template is like “Coral.” The distinct difference is the color.
It also has a minimalist format, but there’s enough space to add your professional photo.
5. Modern Writer Google Docs Resume Template
The “Modern Writer” template is unique since it starts with your contact information rather than your name. The resume header also pops out because of the black line.
The headings are in fuchsia to make them more visible. It’s a nice free resume builder to use if you have a LinkedIn profile.
As you can see, a URL is in fuchsia too!
Simple and Structured Professional Resume Templates
Sometimes a free Google Docs resume template may not be enough. You can look for an editable resume elsewhere.
Often, you need to download the copy first, upload it on Google Drive, and then edit the document.
The good thing is you can still edit the file online or offline.
Here are some options for other Google resume examples that are simple and structured. Among its benefits include:
- They’re easy to spot. They’re plain-looking with rarely any color except for black.
- They also feature the standard two-column format, with one of the sides used for subheadings. The upper section usually contains the name of the applicant and the contact details.
- They also utilize bullets to list down accomplishments and qualifications.
The simplicity of these Google Docs resume templates may disappoint the others. It’s important to note, though, some industries still prefer something traditional.
A free Google Docs resume template in this category also lets you exert more effort on the content than on the visual design.
6. Simple CV Resume Template
For Google Docs users looking to make a lengthy resume or curriculum vitae, this can be a good option. The file is five pages long, but you may remove sections you don’t need.
Some of the categories include:
- Honors and awards
- Professional affiliations
7. Saturn Google Docs Resume Template
This free Google Docs resume template is available at Upresume. It works well for those applying for jobs in traditional industries.
This resume template Doc is clean and sleek and provides a lot of space for the job description.
8. Mercury Resume Template for Google Docs
Another design from Upresume, it uses a three-column format. It is suitable for those who want to condense a lot of information on one page.
9. Substantial Gdoc
This is a clean text-based layout from Hloom designed to highlight your projects. If you’re a creative professional looking to emphasize your successful work, this file can be a good bet.
10. Talented Gdoc
“Talented Gdoc” is a straightforward and simple traditional resume or curriculum vitae. It is best for professionals who value substance over design.
This can work as an RN resume template, which may need a more academic type of formatting.
11. All the Information Gdoc
If you’re a detail-oriented person, this job resume template will not disappoint you. You can be specific with your objectives and key traits you think will help you land a job.
You can also talk about your work history in greater detail.
12. Button-down Gdoc
This bulleted template uses a chronological and straightforward format for your biographical data. It’s excellent for professionals who want to boast personal information and experience.
13. Goldfish Bowl Gdoc
For many hiring managers, only one thing matters: work experience. With this layout, you can place your job history front and center.
14. Traditional Elegance Gdoc
This resume builder comes with a simple, clean, and professional format.
It is excellent for new graduates since it highlights your academic achievements. It also lists education first before work experience.
15. Upfront Gdoc
“Upfront Gdoc” comes in two columns. The design makes scanning your resume easier.
You can easily view the work and academic background with its clean layout. It’s one of the Google Drive resume templates suitable for applicants with extensive job history.
16. Steely Gdoc
When you need to put a spotlight on your long work background, use Hloom’s “Steely” template. It also features a two-page layout, so you don’t overwhelm the hiring team.
Colored and Polished Resume Templates
The job market is competitive, so there’s always the pressure of making your resume or CV stand out. What do you do then?
Here’s a good strategy: be subtle but brave. A colorful but polished free Google Docs resume template can help you achieve that.
It lets winnable parts of your resume or CV pop out. At the same time, the visuals won’t overwhelm the content.
17. Streamlined Gdoc
This template comes in a table-based format, separating important sections. These include:
- Work experience
Its choice of color scheme makes it unique but still professional looking.
18. Resume Napea
Behance’s Michael Neuhauser also made a resume template that is legible and creative. It places a lot of emphasis on your name and contact information.
The content is in German, but you can always edit it into another language.
19. Polished and Fresh
Here’s another beautiful job resume template you can download from DesignStudioTeti. “Polished and Fresh” appears professional, classy, and elegant.
It’s an excellent builder to use if the company’s likely to receive a lot of CVs for different jobs. It highlights the position you want, which you can write at the top.
Available at Etsy, it comes with a free Google Docs cover letter template.
20. Blue Side Gdoc
“Blue Side Gdoc” is an elegant template with its two-toned theme. There’s enough space to list your professional achievements and awards.
The aquamarine column accent helps create a polished and eye-catching effect.
21. List of Expertise Gdoc
This is a functional template that features a clean two-column format. It focuses on your skills and work experience.
22. Technical Special Gdoc
This template doesn’t beat around the bush because it lets you write your reason for applying first. From there, you can work on supporting details. These include:
- Your work background
The format’s orange color can bring a hiring manager’s attention to important information.
Creative Google Docs Resume Templates
Does your work require you to be creative or artistic? Then, these creative and beautiful Google Docs resume templates are what you need.
They can make managers and HR officers notice your resume or CV fast. If that isn’t enough, humans are visual.
We tend to absorb information better when we use graphics or symbols than text.
It explains why social media, infographics, and videos are popular marketing strategies these days.
Whether you’re a graphic designer, photographer, or someone who wants to impress your future boss, you can benefit from these beautifully designed templates.
23. Handwritten Headlines
Are you looking for modern resume templates? Use this resume builder from DesignStudioTeti.
The font style looks like they are by hand, adding a personal touch to the resume. It has a special section for expertise, while the meat of the content is in the center.
24. Sequences Gdoc
If you wish to showcase a bit of your portfolio, create a resume with this formatting. It also contains bold graphics and designs that highlight your professional skills.
25. Ardent Gdoc
“Ardent Gdoc” is an excellent free resume builder for customer service and sales professionals. It places the headshot at the center and emphasizes the key skills.
26. Glimmer Gdoc
27. Circles Gdoc
Are you a graphic designer, photographer, or artistic director? Use this free Google Docs resume template to showcase your portfolio.
It provides a space for visual work and lets you use graphics to improve your resume.
28. Organized Gdoc
Sometimes, the lines don’t make the resume much easier to read. “Organized Gdoc” resolves that by grouping categories into tables!
It also helps managers focus on the elements they think are essential in the hiring process. The colors make the document stand out, but they don’t overpower the resume design.
29. Artistic Flyer Gdoc
The “Artistic Flyer Gdoc” is eye-catching. It has a colorful design and uses Sans Serif and Serif typefaces.
This free Google Docs resume template is perfect for marketing professionals who want a high-impact resume.
30. Nueva Rose
Do you find the other designs above too much? You can still combine creativity with structure and elegance.
“Nueva Rose” features a distinct heading with its wavy border and darker background. It also has an excellent method of dividing different categories.
In turn, you have an easy-to-read resume or CV that is unique.
Starting with a free Google Docs resume template will likely get you off on the right foot. Take it one step further and ace your cover letter with this video from Harvard Extension School:
When it comes to the best resume template, you can go beyond a free Google Docs resume template. You can download more options and still edit them anytime and anywhere.
You can also customize their look and content to suit your needs and can remove as many sections as you want or add more.
Note, though, a good-looking resume can only get you so far. To win the job, know your resume and be confident during the interview!
Which of the Google Docs resume templates above is your favorite? Share your choices in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on April 26, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.