Smart speakers have become one of the fastest growing trends in the tech world. That’s not surprising since these speakers offer more than just playing music. From setting alarms to controlling the smart devices in your home, the voice-controlled personal assistant feature found in these devices can definitely make your life easier. If you are automating your home or looking for great-sounding smart speakers, scouring the Internet for reviews can be tedious, especially if you’re not sure what you’re looking for. Don’t worry, we’ve collected reviews on the top 3 smart speakers you should be checking out. Read on to learn more!
Top 3 Smart Speakers For Your Home
Amazon Echo 2nd Generation
With improved audio quality and a simpler, sleeker design at a significantly lower price of $99.99, the Amazon Echo 2nd Gen. is worth every penny. Here are some of its best features:
- Compatibility with various streaming services – You can ask it to play music from streaming sites like Amazon Music and Spotify
- Powered by Alexa – Allows you to play music, make calls, set alarms, and answer your questions
- Offers multi-device and room linking – You can play music on compatible Echo devices across different rooms
- Comes in a variety of finishes – Comes in five fabric and wood finishes, ranging from Heather Gray fabric to Walnut, which gives you more options depending on the style of the room you’re putting it in
- Diverse connectivity and smarter Alexa – You can ask Alexa to check your calendar, weather and traffic updates, and sports scores; manage your to-do and shopping lists; order an Uber or food delivery; and control compatible smart home devices like lights, thermostats, garage doors, and sprinklers
Reviews for Amazon Echo (2nd Gen)
Most people who bought the product gave it a positive review, giving it an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. One user noted that, while the 2nd generation of the Echo didn’t have a lot of new features, the new feature that enables it to send music to another speaker, along with its significantly lower price compared to its predecessor, are enough reasons to buy it. As for the less-than-stellar reviews, one user commented that, while he’s satisfied with the product, he would’ve preferred if it had the spin dial on top for volume control.
The Apple HomePod succeeds more as a premium speaker than a smart home device. While it is one of the best-sounding smart speakers available today, Siri’s smart home functionalities are limited compared with other AIs. Nonetheless, Apple’s very first smart speaker proves to be a top contender in the market. Some of its best features include:
- Sleek and premium look – The HomePod has a clean cylindrical shape. You can have it in either Space Grey or white—Apple’s signature sleek colors
- Impressive sound from a small speaker – Expect rich, nuanced sound that defies its size
- It can remember songs you like and don’t like – If you happen to dislike a song it plays, tell the HomePod, “I don’t like this song,” and it won’t play it again
- Time Management Features – The HomePod can set alarms, reminders, and timers
- It can read your messages aloud – If you’re too busy to check a message you just received on your devices, Siri can read it out for you. If you want to send a reply, you can dictate the message, and Siri will do the sending
Reviews for Apple HomePod
People who bought the Apple HomePod generally gave positive reviews. It received an average of 4.7 out of 5 stars, with most reviewers citing the superior audio quality as its best feature. One reviewer couldn’t believe the quality of the audio considering the small size of the product. Another user recommended not buying one — but two — Apple HomePods because he was really impressed with the audio quality when he linked the two speakers and used them in one room.
Sonos gave Alexa a great sounding home in the Sonos One. It fully integrates Alexa’s smart home features and Sonos’ multi-room system making pairing two Sonos Ones for stereo sound. Check out why we think this should be on the list of the 3 best smart speakers.
- Multi-room listening – You can connect it to Sonos speakers across different rooms
- Superior sound quality
- Voice-control feature for easier listening – Sonos One has a voice-control feature that lets you control your music just with your voice. It’s compatible with leading music streaming sites like Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, and more.
- Humidity Resistant – It can withstand getting a bit wet so you can place it in your bathroom or patio. All you need is Wi-Fi and a power source
Reviews for Sonos One
Sonos One received mixed reviews, with an average rating of 3.7 out of 5 stars, from those who purchased it via Amazon. One user, who’s a self-confessed tech noobie, said that he and his wife gave the Sonos One the “Double Senior Discount Seal of Approval” for its easy set-up and its good sound quality. However, other users have noted that the Sonos One doesn’t fully integrate all of Alexa’s features.
Not sure yet which smart speaker you’ll get? To help you decide, watch this video from RIZKNOWS:
Decide on how you plan to use a smart speaker before purchasing one. If you’re after a device primarily for playing music, go with one that has excellent audio quality, in this case, the Apple HomePod. But if you’re setting up a smart home, looking for one that can tend to your specific needs should be the top priority, and for this purpose, Alexa-powered devices like the Echo 2 and Sonos One are the better choices.
Which smart speaker from the list do you like best? Let us know in the comments section below!