Wearing an outdoor watch is the best arsenal you can have when going for a hike, a road trip, or an off-the-grid getaway. These are useful and functional gadgets you need before embarking on your outdoor adventure.
If you’re looking for a watch to wear on your next outdoor activities, check out our top picks from these famous and reliable brands.
Top 11 Outdoor Watches to Consider for Your Next Adventure | A Quick Buyer’s Guide
Table of contents
- Top 11 Outdoor Watches to Consider for Your Next Adventure | A Quick Buyer’s Guide
- Top Brands
- Runner-up Brands
1. Garmin Fenix 6
For anyone who does not only engage in hiking and backpacking but also running or hitting the gym on a daily basis, this sports watch is for you. This premium multisport watch is engineered with cutting-edge design and performance that is cut for your active lifestyle.
Its excellent build quality, unique menu system, and high precision are just a few reasons to check out this bad boy in your online shopping cart.
The best feature of Fenix 6:
- Longer battery life (12H longer compared to 5X Plus}
- Higher resolution
- Thinner and lighter
- 20-gigabyte internal storage
- Sunlight-readable display
The coolest thing about Garmin outdoor watches is it comes with Garmin Pay. You don’t need to take your wallet with you on your hike because you can use this payment method.
2. Garmin Fenix 5X Plus
This outdoor watch is one of Amazon’s choices for sports watches. Any outdoorsy person would drool over it not for its price tag, but because of the following outstanding features:
- Appealing GPS and TOPO maps — feature the trend line popularity routing, which helps you find and follow the best routes for your hiking or running.
- Wrist-based Pulse Ox Acclimation sensor
- Three-axis compass
- Barometric altimeter
- Scratch-resistant domed sapphire lens
- Stores and plays up to 500 songs, either stored music or via streaming services.
3. Garmin fēnix 5
If the 5x Plus is too much for its price, you might like to consider the Fenix line’s standard model. Though this sports watch doesn’t have the advanced features and cutting edge technology of 5x Plus, it still has the premium multisport GPS feature.
Other features are:
- Barometric altimeter, compass, and gyroscope
- GLONASS satellite reception
- Elevate wrist heart rate technology
- Other smart notifications and personalization
4. G-Shock Rangeman GW9400-1
Casio’s G-Shock line is considered an indestructible watch. This Rangeman watch is one of the coveted military-style watches. This may not be the typical outdoor watch. But any hiker, backpacker, or sports-minded person would love this atomic watch as a valuable accessory for the following reasons:
- It is the most accurate watch as it uses radio signals in calibrating time.
- It is solar-powered — no need to recharge your Rangeman watch for 7 months
- Shock-resistance technologies
- Water-resistant up to 660 feet and mud-resistant
- Other functions: altimeter, barometer, digital compass, and thermometer
5. Casio Men’s Pathfinder Triple Sensor Multi-Function Sport Watch
Pathfinder has the basic Rangeman features that are hiker-friendly. It is also solar-powered and has a power-saving setting. This Casio watch has the following built-in functions:
- Alarms and various timers
- Data history storage
- Multiple times zones
- Sunset and sunrise times
6. Casio Men’s Pro Trek
Among Casio’s Pro Trek family, PRW-3000-1CR is our best pick. Most outdoor lovers who bought this watch would agree they have a good deal for their money.
Like the rest of the Pro trek line, it comes with a lot of useful features, though even better. While this Pro Trek appears to be lighter, slimmer, and smaller, its features are still revolutionary and future-proof.
- The new design makes the watch very comfortable to wear.
- The improved version of triple sensor (v.3) vastly enhances its altitude and atmospheric pressure measurement giving you a more accurate and precise data.
- This version 3 also enables the watch to reduce power usage, including improving battery efficiency.
7. Suunto 9 Multisport GPS Watch
Suunto 9 sports watch comes in 3 styles— Baro, Non-Baro, and Baro+Heart Rate Belt. Why go for this outdoor watch? Suunto comes alongside Garmin and Casio as the companies with the best hiking watches in the market today.
You bet this super watch is crafted with quality materials. Among the best features are:
- Large and clear screen
- Simple to use buttons
- Easy to navigate watch functions
- Over 80 built-in sport modes ideal for your outdoor activities like running, cycling, etc.
- Sports services connectivity like Adidas Running, Under Armour, Strava, etc.
8. Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR
Suunto spartan collection has been designed and tested for your most difficult feats in outdoor adventure.
For the outdoor enthusiasts who are also serious about their fitness progress, this is a solid multisport watch for them. It is built to meet the demands of their active lifestyle. While it has the same features as its sibs, this watch is applauded for:
- Optical heart rate sensor
- Black Steel Bezel
- Accurate tracking of multiple sports and fitness activities
- Seamless connection to your favorite apps
9. Suunto Core All Black Military Men’s Outdoor Sports Watch
Hailed as the best barometric altimeter watch, Suunto Core has an unbeatable precision accuracy of up to 29,500 feet. No wonder it’s a perfect watch for hiking enthusiasts.
What do people love about Suunto Core? Aside from the stylish designs, robust construction, and easy-to-use outdoor features, this outdoor watch is being praised for the following features:
- Long battery life
- Storm warnings
- Sunset and sunrise reminders
10. NIXON Regulus
At first glance, you might say this is the best watch for a covert operation. I tell you, you’re not wrong about that impression. Nixon teamed up with a former SEAL to design and build this digital warrior’s watch.
Inspired by a tactical watch, it is designed to withstand all the outdoor beating. Nixon Regulus wows its consumers with the following features:
- Sturdiness to endure the outdoor abuse
- Dries out instantly after being submerged to water
- Useful and adjustable LED backlight
11. Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch
Last but not least in our top pick is Versa 2. Any Fitbit fanatic would be beaming for this. This smartwatch gets the job done not just on your regular workout routine but also hiking activities. No wonder it is dub as the best fitness tracker for hiking.
This may be a non-GPS watch. But it allows you to sync with your smartphone and download the trail map accurately after hiking. Like its predecessor, Versa 2 lets you:
- Create alarms or set reminders using your own voice
- Check the weather, news, and other information via Alexa
- Track your sleep quality, heart rate, steps, calories burned, distance, etc
- Use Spotify and or Pandora
There you have it, folks! These sports watches are more than just a timepiece device. With these essentials, you will never have to worry about getting lost. Stay safe!