Threats to Android phones keep growing every day so securing your device should be a top priority. Here are 9 Android antivirus apps that can keep your phone and data safe.
Android Antivirus Essentials For Your Smartphone
1. Avast Mobile Security
Avast 2019 Mobile Security Free Download For Android https://t.co/uSygx2ZfyF https://t.co/utpsPMEnZA #Avast2019 #FreeAvast #FreeDownload #MobileSecurity #Avastforandroid #Asia #America #Africa #Europe #Rus #Canada #USA #SouthAfrica #china #Nederland #Fra #Ger #UK #Aus #spain #aus pic.twitter.com/aeZSaO3diz
— shandi reza (@shandi_reza) October 5, 2018
Avast is one of the most famous antivirus programs in the world. You’d be hard-pressed to find a PC that isn’t running Avast in some capacity. It might as well be the same for Android, as the Play Store lists over 100 million downloads of the Avast Mobile Security app.
A big reason for its popularity is its intuitive user interface. As one of the best Android antivirus apps out there, they have to present their app’s functions as simple as possible. They’ve done well in that regard, as the app can do everything you want it to with just one tap. Tapping “scan” instructs the app to scour your phone for any infected apps, hidden malware, trojans, and spyware.
Avast didn’t skimp on the free features either. Here are some of them:
- Call blocker: allows you to bar specific numbers from reaching your phone.
- Anti-theft system: secures your phone against thieves
- RAM booster and junk cleaner: keeps your phone running smoothly
- Other features include a web shield, a Wi-Fi scanner, and a photo vault secured with a PIN code
Download Avast Mobile Security here.
2. Norton Security & Antivirus
— Android Hoster (@androidhoster) October 11, 2017
Norton has been a household name since even before Windows XP. To old-school PC enthusiasts, Norton is their go-to antivirus software. However, they’re also very notorious for giving their products a fairly hefty price. Thankfully, their Android antivirus app is free.
The user interface (UI) may be a bit cluttered, but this app gets the job done. It’s completely user-friendly in the way that it gives you a rating on how secure your phone is. Your goal is to get your ratings to 100%. Norton helps you along by doing everything for you. All you need to do is provide permissions and other details and you’ll be beefing up your phone security in no time.
Here are some of the features of this antivirus:
- Norton boasts a 100% detection rate for all malware, spyware, and viruses.
- Easier removal of threats — one tap removes all of them in one swoop.
- Phone location functions — the app can trigger an alarm to help you find your phone, and an option to remotely lock your phone no matter where it is.
One of our only qualms about this app is it chose to have certain functions that other Android antivirus apps have (such as app lockers and password managers) as stand-alone apps. While they are free, they’re also pretty cumbersome on the ol’ phone memory front. Nevertheless, this antivirus app is highly recommended.
Download Norton Security & Antivirus here.
3. Security Master
— BestModApk (@BestModApk) March 25, 2018
Security Master was once known as CM Security, and it’s every bit as good as its predecessor. This app touts itself as an all-in-one app that does pretty much everything you need it to do. As an antivirus app, it lets you detect and remove all malware, trojans, worms, and viruses that may be on your phone. The app also sets up a pretty efficient firewall to protect your phone from outside threats.
Its free version is no slouch. It’s got a ton of nifty features that any phone security nut will love.
- App locker — secures certain apps with passwords, allowing only you to access them
- Wi-Fi security options and a phone junk cleaner that removes unwanted and/or cache files that take up valuable space in your phone
- Also comes with a phone booster that clears up your RAM, a CPU cooler that keeps your processor from overheating, and a battery saver to make your phone last longer
- Browse your favorite social media sites straight from the app — you can view Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other social media apps from Security Master’s own browser. It adds a much-needed layer of security that lets you browse your social media safely.
Download Security Master here.
4. Bitdefender Antivirus
— Green Hat World (@Greenhatworld) February 6, 2017
There was a time in the PC community when Bitdefender was considered the final word in antivirus software. That still rings true today. Its little brother, Bitdefender Antivirus free, carries the flag for Android. From what we’ve seen, it’s carrying it well — it’s every bit as powerful in defending against viruses as its PC version. Here are some of its best features:
- It has a 99% rate of catching malware
- Easy-to-use Autopilot option to set everything up
- Very lightweight in terms of memory usage, taking up only 12MB of storage. Bitdefender is that light thanks to its use of a cloud-based system that grabs data from online sources. This lets Bitdefender work right out of the box, without ever needing to customize it
It’s pretty efficient as well in scanning for threats, taking mere seconds to fully scan your storage. All this efficiency is thanks to its cloud-based computing system, which lets Bitdefender computers sort it out while you and your phone relax. However, a lot of the fancier features like malware scanners, account privacy options, web security, app lockers, and anti-theft measures are locked behind a rather pricey paywall. However, we believe Bitdefender’s track record so far is enough reason to purchase the app.
Download Bitdefender Antivirus here.
5. Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus
— Kaspersky Lab ME (@KasperskyME) August 27, 2017
Kaspersky is a respected name in antivirus software, and it’s easy to see why. The free version of the app alone carries a ton of features that you wouldn’t see in other paid apps. They’re not only a good deal — they’re also the real deal.
Its very stringent background check feature scans for viruses, spyware, and Trojans that come in everytime you go online. If its rate of 99.9% detection says anything, the app is pretty good at its job. Its efficient antivirus system cleans up any problematic programs and blocks it off from further penetration.
If you’re looking for the best antivirus for your Android phone, this is it.
Here are some of its other features:
- App lock — lets you secure apps with passwords
- Phone locator — gives you the option to ping your phone
- Anti-theft feature — locks everything with a password
- Anti-phishing software — lets the antivirus secure your personal and financial information against potential phishing threats
- Call blocker and web filter
Download Kasperky Mobile Antivirus here.
6. dfndr Security
Dfndr security: antivirus, anti-hacking & cleaner – https://t.co/5h7NDGoJJ5
— APK TODAY (@ApkToDay) August 9, 2018
Its name may sound a bit too millennial for your taste, but dfndr definitely gets the job done. It’s one of the newer Android antivirus apps out there, and also the fastest growing. This antivirus has been extensively tested by the AV-TEST Institute and has passed with flying colors. This has resulted in a boom of installations. Over 130 million phones currently have dfndr installed on their Android phones, and one look at its features will let you know why.
As an antivirus software, it’s pretty solid. It continuously scans for viruses and other types of malware in the background. Its highly efficient virus-cleaning sweeps the phone as often as you want it to. However, the real meat of dfndr is in its extra features:
- Anti-hacking and anti-phishing protection — hides personal data and financial details from prying eyes
- Memory booster and quick cleanup tools — can help optimize your phone and take care of dead weight in your phone. If you’re the type of person who hates going through their notifications first thing in the morning, the notification cleaner can remove all notifications in one tap
- Free app lock function — protects sensitive apps with passwords or fingerprints
If that wasn’t enough, they added extra options such as a CPU cooler, Wi-Fi speed checker, Internet speed accelerator, anti-theft features, call block option, and identity theft reports.
Download dfndr here.
7. AVG AntiVirus
— APK4Fun (@APK4Fun) October 10, 2017
For the PC, AVG was the antivirus of choice for people who wanted it free, effective, with as little RAM usage as possible. It’s been trusted by its customers, and with good reason: AVG Technologies is a subsidiary of Avast, and its programs and maintains AVG AntiVirus using the same tech Avast has. If you’re looking for a free and effective antivirus for your Android, pick AVG.
The free version is filled with nifty features:
- Protection functions — scanning apps, games, and files with their dual-engine antivirus
- Website scanner — AVG scans all websites you visit from your phone for harmful threats and provides a Wi-Fi scanner that helps secure your internet connection.
- Performance tweakers — power saving, task manager, storage cleaner, and Internet speed tests
A nice feature is its anti-theft features. By installing AVG on your computer, you can control your phone through there. It can send its location, lock your phone with a message, play a siren, and make it email you a picture of whoever’s trying to unlock your phone. This also gives you an option to lock your phone whenever it detects the SIM card being swapped out. You can also use it to remotely capture audio and video through the AVG website. For really drastic cases, AVG also gives the option to completely wipe the phone and SD card storage.
Download AVG AntiVirus here.
8. Avira Antivirus Security
Your photos, contacts, and credit card numbers are on your phone. We protect them all against malicious apps and mobile malware, such as #ransomware and banking #Trojans. Avira #Antivirus Security for #Android is committed to your safety and privacy. https://t.co/GMCsPYO4es pic.twitter.com/fMZG1g1ths
— Avira (@Avira) July 1, 2018
Avira hasn’t always been a top player when it comes to antivirus software and apps. Their relative unpopularity, however, does not make them any less good compared to their competitors. Avira packs a punch with its free version with important features that pretty much just secure your phone for free.
For its main features, Avira gives you the basics:
- Removes any threats to your phone’s security
- Free anti-theft feature that helps find, track, and recover a lost phone.
- Avira can encrypt and protect your personal data, such as passwords, messages, and photos, securing it from hackers
And while we’re talking about security, Avira also gives you the option to see the data other apps are collecting from your phone. This includes your social media apps, games, and even your streaming software. Avira can also block unauthorized access from your other apps, so the apps you download can’t be exploited. All of this comes in a nice, light package around 18MB, making this Android antivirus a really good contender in this list.
Download Avira Antivirus Security here.
9. Sophos Mobile Security
— Sophos (@Sophos) January 18, 2018
Would you like an Android antivirus app that won’t show you ads, gives you all its available features, and is 100% easy to navigate and use? Sophos is a fully-featured, ad-free app. You may already know them as the number one provider of cybersecurity for companies and governments worldwide. It has 14 AV-TEST awards under its belt, a feat not many antivirus apps can achieve. If that’s not enough to convince you, maybe its features will:
- Sophos’ malware protection scans your phone from any threats — malicious files and apps are screened and flagged, and deleted at your choice
- Loss and theft prevention options give you lots of nice security options — remote wipe for your phone to protect your data
- Web filtering options defend you from malicious or sensitive content.
Sophos can also secure your apps with passcodes, increase Wi-Fi security, and helps you further keep your phone safe with a built-in Privacy and Security Advisor. If you’re going “off-the-grid” for a while, they included a helpful call protection option. Other extra features are password safes, authenticators, battery and data usage filters, and a “managed mode” useful for company phones.
And did we mention that everything we listed down for Sophos is 100% free?
Download Sophos here.
Does your phone need an Android antivirus app? Here’s ThioJoeTech’s take on the issue:
These apps are all special in their own way. It’s not about the antivirus anymore — it’s about how much it can do. While they all differ in what their extra features are, they’re all equally effective when it comes to detecting and stopping viruses. However, the choice, ultimately, will be yours. We hope this list of the best antivirus for Android phones has helped you in keeping your phone and data secured.
What’s your favorite antivirus software and why? Let us know in the comments section.