In this episode of the Lighter Side of Technology, Mr. Noobie® talks about what websites students use to help them with their homework, how Twitter affects the Olympics, a new kind of dictionary, how many adults use Twitter and why Pinterest is different from other social networking websites.

If you can not see the embedded video above please use the following link: The Lighter Side of Technology – Episode 2


Hello, this is Patric Welch, otherwise known as Mr. Noobie®. Welcome to another episode of the Lighter Side of Technology.

A new study shows that students researching homework assignments turn most often to YouTube, Google and Wikipedia. Although I’m pretty sure the study missed the fact that students turn most often to Facebook to avoid doing their homework altogether.

Two-time gold medalist swimmer Rebecca Adlington has stated she will take a break from Twitter during this summer’s Olympics due to negative comments she has received regarding her appearance. Personally, I just figured it was going to be really difficult to tweet and swim at the same time.

Google is interested in controlling the top lev… hold on, hold on. Google is interested in controlling the top level dom… wait wait wait wait. Ok, I got it. Google is… Ok, ok, stop. Google is interested in controlling the top level domain LOL.

But I have no idea why they would want to do that.

A study of Twitter users shows that 15% of adults use Twitter and about half of those use it every day. The other 85% of adults are still trying to figure out why those weird pound signs keep showing up on their tv screen.

A couple of UK designers have created a new project, called Google Book, that shows a Google image for all 21,000 words in the English dictionary. Which I guess means you really will be able to see someone’s picture now when you look up stupid in the dictionary.

An eye-tracking study done on the Pinterest website has shown that users look at Pinterest differently than other websites. Rather than concentrating on the left and top portions of the website, Pinterest users tend to concentrate on the middle of the page. I did my own study on how I look at Pinterest and found slightly different results. Here’s what I came up with.

15 natural beauty recipes?

What’s a sundress?

Yeah, I guess those pants look comfy?

Fairy garden party?

That’s it for this episode of the Lighter Side of Technology. I’m Mr. Noobie®, otherwise known as Patric Welch and I’ll see you next time.

Patric Welch

Patric Welch founded Noobie, Inc. in 2006 to help others effectively choose and use technologies to enhance their work and lives. The catchy company name earned Welch the name of Mr. Noobie®, but, in reality, Welch is an experienced and professional techie. Unlike most techies, Welch evaluates emerging technologies from a noobie’s perspective and provides technology education for all skill levels in a friendly, non-threatening way.
2,901 Noobies Have a Head Start... Don't Be Left Out!

2,901 Noobies Have a Head Start... Don't Be Left Out!

Get Noobie's nooest tech articles, exclusive email-only deals, free giveaways, tips and event notifications, all delivered straight to your inbox! 

And for a limited time, receive Noobie's popular audio presentation, "10 Tricks to Become a Happier Computer Owner", for free!

Congratulations, you made a great decision! Check your email box in the next 15 minutes for your free presentation.